Keeping Score? Health Industry on Winning EHR Adoption Track, according to CMS Report
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services recently released “A Record of Progress on Health Information Technology,” a fact sheet detailing health information technology progress that has come about as a result of the HITECH provisions of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Here’s a rundown of the numbers since the “meaningful use” program took hold of the industry in 2009:
- More than 85 percent of eligible hospitals are participating in the Medicare and Medicaid HER incentive programs.
- More than 75 percent of eligible hospitals receive meaningful use incentive payments as of March 2013.
- More than 388,000 eligible professionals have registered to take part in the government’s HER incentive initiative.
- More than 230,000 eligible professionals, or 44 percent of all eligible professionals, have received a meaningful use payment.
- Regional Extension Centers are providing assistance to 130,000 primary care providers and 44,000 nurse practitioners across the country.
- More than 80 percent of all Federally Qualified Health Centers are enrolled in a REC.
- 941 vendors are providing more than 1,700 unique certified HER products as of March 2013.
- 53 percent of office based physicians are using e-prescribing as of January 2013, compared to just 0.8 percent in December of 2006.
- More than 50,000 healthcare IT-related jobs have been created since HITECH was enacted, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Medicare and Medicaid have paid $12.6 billion in incentives to hospitals, doctors and other healthcare professionals as of February of 2013.
The complete report is available here.